Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Cat's Issues by Trish Wentling and Bad Cat (art) by Richard Cody

by Trish Wentling

Sitting on my wooden fence
In a tuxedo of black and white
Was my tomcat named Hortense.
I heard his desperate cry all night
Meowing at alley cats to be his friend.
Why he chose those
I will never know
Instead of his toy mouse
In the polka-dot pants.
I added toys that squeaked
And rubber frogs that leaped.
But still he headed outside
For the fence meowing with pride.
Phoning the vet, I hastily spewed the facts.
Vet's diagnosis: Turn him into an indoor cat.
I sleep better and stay awake all day
The little surgery put Hortense back on track.
But his yearning for females withered away.

Bad Cat (art) by Richard Cody


narthex said...

love this!

Cherie Reich said...

Aww! Poor Hortense. Very nice poem. :)

R.S. Bohn said...

The poem's terrific. And I love the art! Wonderful!

Lisa said...

What a sweet poem! The ending made me smile. I LOVE the drawing. Well done.

Post a Comment