Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Confession of a Cat

The Confession of a Cat
by Changming Yuan

like a pile of compressed fog
caught on a twig at the mountainwaist
the cat hunches on the sofa's shoulder
where i see the whole house of life
genetically domesticated behind the doors
that most hateful human invention

yes, i am a bimental being
as my feline friend has revealed
i can readily detect the moods
of my human family members
often switching my personality
with my drifting kittenhood
as i tease or avoid them behind doors
who know i enjoy solitary stalking
and respect my rented privacy
but none of them was born in the year of my day
since my ancestor was cheated shamefully
out of a ridiculous race in chinese zodiac

the inside doors are ajar or unlocked
but the one facing the free spirits of nature
is always tightly closed, separating me
from my other self born to prefer
to stroll in the wild than sit in the house
once i sneak out of the threshold
i will never give a backward glance
yet I will keep my grooming habit
by using my long tongue to clean the dirtiest
and most private parts of my authentic being
somewhere in the wildness



Changming Yuan, twice Pushcart nominee and author of Chansons of a Chinaman(2009), grew up in a remote Chinese village and has published poems in Barrow Street, Best Canadian Poetry, London Magazine and more than 250 other literary publications worldwide.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is extraordinary; The notion of cats, essence of cat, in terms such as 'bimental being', 'authentic being' and the switching of personalities to accommodate different demands. The sadness of the closed door preventing access to the wild. Oh gosh. Lovely!

Post a Comment