Monday, May 24, 2010

Too Late in the Day to Be a Cat? by Janet Garber

TOO LATE IN THE DAY TO BE A CAT?

By Janet Garber


Belly-to-belly, Minnie-chat and I,
Contemplate the day ahead.
Not eager to begin, so,
Entranced, I soak in the heat of Her Furryness.
I rub her jowls between two fingers.
I caress her head with an open palm.

She looks at me: Don’t ever stop!
Don’t go out that door again
With your keys and your bag,
Leaving me to the window, the birds.
The maddening flit-flying birds.
I’ll make a fool of myself
As I always do.
Lunging at the window glass, meowing,
Growling deep and dark
Back in my throat
So lonely for you, my mistress, my mother.

How can I make promises, Fur-Face?
I’m unemployed!
So busy, being unemployed.
More ads, calls, visits, networking,
More fears penny-pinching my future.
I wanted to live life wide,
Free and careless like you.
Sleeping when I want, chasing my tail,
Jumping at invisible entities.
All the day belonging to me.
But I'm a captive like you
To necessity and breeding.
BRRRG…you fly out of my lap.
Nature calls. I answer.
The day comes to get me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment